Pages

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Rainbow Cake

I wanted to make something special for St. Patrick's day. Cav Doc (the hubs) was usually deployed, working or doing overnight work for the army so its nice to finally have the chance to celebrate any holiday as a family. Especially since my oldest Gigi has spring break from pre-k. 

I scoured the net for ideas. Everyone had rainbow layered cupcake, green cupcakes, green cakes, you get the idea. But I wanted to do something different, something that went in the same direction but different. So I talked to my mom and she said why not make a layered rainbow cake? Then Cav Doc said well why not actually make a rainbown cake, arches and all? So thanks to my darling husband Cav Doc, Rainbow Cake was born.

Rainbow Cake

Ingredients:

2 sticks softened butter
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup milk
4 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 1/2 cups flour
assorted food coloring

preheat oven to 350. 


Get all your ingredients out. Yes my photo is missing one egg. 


Mix up your batter, cream butter and sugar. Add all other wet ingredients then baking powder. Slowly add flour. Take out 7 bowls.


Get out the food coloring. You could make a smaller rainbow but rainbows are my oldest Gigi's favorite thing to draw so I had to make red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and purple. Plus an extra bowl to put plain cake batter around your rainbow.


I put about a cup of batter in the pan. Just enough to make the colors stay in place. 


Pretty colors!!!!


First try was red. Not bad!!! I used a spoon and just drizzled it around. 


Rainbow cake!! its beautiful!! Bake at 350 for 35 minutes. 


So pretty!! Now the fun part.


B E A U T I F U L!!

Something like this needs a fun plating. 





Now go have some fun with colors and make some yummy rainbows!!!!

1 comment: