Pages

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Draft Dodgers

Do you hate those drafts under your doors? I do. I get cold so easy. Everything makes me want a sweater, a blanket and slippers. Plus I hate the thought of our expensive heat going out the door and being made cold by drafts. So I finally got up the courage to use my sewing machine for the first time and make a draft dodger. After searching for hours online my husband helped me come up with the perfect draft dodger that addressed our main concerns. Will it keep the draft out? Is it cheaper to make then buying one for $19.99 plus taxes. Will it get moldy if we use rice, beans or popcorn kernels? The answer is it did!!!

Materials
foam pipe cover ($2.47 for a 4 pack at Walmart)
farbic, any kind that is sturdy. I used an old curtain.
popcorn kernels
sewing machine or just a needle and thread

The pipe covers, they are 36 inches long and lucky for me that is how wide our door is.

Cut your material 8 inches wide and 42 inches long. I forgot to take pictures of the whole process so bare with me!!

Sew the material together leaving enough room to slide foam pipe cover in. Mine was about a 1 in to make a snug fit. 

Then turn out and sew one end closed, two inches from the end. 

Place the foam pipe cover inside and fill. We used popcorn kernels but you could use rice or beans.

Tie the other end closed with a ribbon and place and door. Viola!!!


Our whole reasoning for using the foam and the popcorn kernels is this. When it rains here since it doesn't normally snow, the draft dodger could get wet. The foam will protect the popcorn kernels. Since I am very mold afraid, we will untie the end with the ribbon, dump out the kernels and store it empty until next winter once spring comes and the draft dodger is no longer needed. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment